IELTS general is a standardized CBT English language test used by more than 150+ countries. Thousands and students take this test around the world every year. SO the competition will be high. We are going to recommend some best books for the IELTS general exam 2023 in this article.
This article will help you score an 8+ band in the IELTS exam on your first attempt. The 12 best books for the IELTS general exam 2023 recommended in this blog are compiled by top English language assessment test trainers and experts. These books will cover all the sections of the IELTS exam, including Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. Also, these books are updated for the latest IELTS exam syllabus for 2023.
What’s general IELTS
General IELTS [ International English language testing system] is a global exam held in different parts of the world every year. Cracking IELTS general exams is necessary for those who wish to migrate to countries abroad, primarily for work purposes. In addition, this exam is an entry point for settling in some of the English-speaking countries like Canada, New Zealand, and Australia.
Every year, thousands of people take up the IELTS general exam to migrate overseas for various reasons. Some of the major reasons why people migrate to other countries are –
- For better career prospects.
- For a better life, say a person would like to move to a developed nation because it offers finer options to live compared to what his or her native country does.
- To seek higher education. Education, undoubtedly, changes everyone’s lives. People who believe in that outlook always search for better education opportunities.
The sole aim of this article is to help these exam takers with recommendations and suggestions for best books for the IELTS general exam.
What’s the purpose of the IELTS general exam?
The purpose of the General IELTS exam is to validate that a candidate willing to migrate to a foreign country abroad has the basic ability to understand and communicate in the general everyday English language.
It tests the candidate’s interest in a country that he or she has chosen to settle in.
The exam acts as a legitimate gate pass for people who are serious about living and working abroad. While talking about settling abroad, you can read more about IELTS score for Canada PR here.
Who should take IELTS academic and general tests?
There’s a difference between IELTS academic and general tests. Each of the tests are taken up by different candidates with entirely different purposes.
Academic IELTS is for those who want admissions to universities and colleges abroad, whereas general IELTS is strictly for migration purposes.
Although both tests are meant for two different reasons, they test every candidate and test-taker’s English speaking, reading, listening and writing ability. If you want to improve your ability in these sections, then read on. The best books for the IELTS General exam 2023 listed here will help you improve your abilities in all the above sections.
Also read: IELTS Academic Vs IELTS General
Why you need books to prepare for the IELTS general exam
- Any IELTS exam that you prepare for will have a specific pattern. Books will help you familiarize yourself with those patterns.
- Through books, you can get to know what types of questions are included in the test.
- IELTS general exam books can help boost your confidence since you get to understand how to attempt the test.
- Most of the test prep books on IELTS have mock test papers created by IELTS specialists.
- Mock tests help you gauge your proficiency.
- Last but not least, a bit of study always helps. You get to understand your level of English and work towards improving it.
Now, we talk about the 12 best books, which will help you prep for your next IELTS general exams. These books will help you achieve a band of 8 and above. We recommend these books based on the types of questions they cover, their popularity amongst test-takers, and their quality and authenticity.
Table of Contents
- What’s general IELTS?
- What’s the purpose of the IELTS general exam?
- Who should take IELTS academic and general tests?
- Why do you need books to prepare for the IELTS general exam?
- What are the best books for the IELTS general exam in 2023?
- Other important resources books for improving IELTS vocabulary
- Other important resources books for improving grammar
- Other important resources books for improving writing
- Other important resources books for improving listening
- Other important resources books for improving reading
- How to choose the best books for IELTS?
- FAQs on the best books for IELTS general exams
What are the best books for the IELTS general exam in 2023?
|S.No||IELTS General Book name||Author of the IELTS book||Publisher of the IELTS book||Price (in INR)||Year of publishing||Where to buy|
|1||The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS||Pauline Cullen||Cambridge University Press||Rs. 635||28 April 2014||Amazon, Flipkart|
|2||Cambridge IELTS 10 to 16||Various||Cambridge University Press||Each below Rs. 500||16 April 2015||Amazon|
|3||English Collocations in Use||Felicity O’dell & Michael McCarthy||Cambridge University Press||Rs. 4117||4 September 2008||Amazon|
|4||English Vocabulary in Use||Felicity O’dell & Michael McCarthy||Cambridge University Press||Rs. 339||21 December 2012||Amazon|
|5||Barron’s IELTS superpack||–||New Age International Pvt. Ltd.||Rs. 498||1 February 2012||Amazon|
|6||Official IELTS Practice Materials Vol. 1 & 2||Cambridge ESOL||Cambridge English||Vol 1 – Rs. 1464
Vol 2 – Rs. 1701
|3 March 2009||Amazon|
|7||Cambridge Vocabulary for IELTS||Pauline Cullen||Cambridge English||Rs. 2601||27 March 2008||Amazon|
|8||Cambridge Grammar for IELTS – with answers||Diana Hopkins & Pauline Cullen||Cambridge University Press||Rs. 2180||15 January 2007||Amazon|
|9||IELTS Trainer – with answers and audio||Louise￼ Hashemi & Barbara Thomas||Cambridge English||Rs. 3356||10 March 2011||Amazon|
|10||Road to IELTS||–||–||FREE||N/A||British Council|
|11||IELTS General Actual Tests||–||–||Below 500||N/A||Kindle edition on Amazon|
|12||Focus on IELTS Foundation Coursebook||O’Connell Sue||Pearson Education Ltd.||Rs. 3937||14 September 2006||Flipkart|
These books help you to achieve magical improvements in your IELTS score. These 12 books may not have beautiful animated pictures or graphics. They may not be classics. But they are peer-reviewed and carefully edited by leading publications.
Some of the IELTS General books here are new, and some of them are established. Most of these popular IELTS books will be available in college libraries and schools.