Conjoint Degrees in New Zealand offer more than your usual undergraduate degree. If you cannot choose between two undergraduate programmes and wish to study both of them together, at the same time, New Zealand is just the choice for you. It lets you pursue just that. With a shorter duration than pursuing two undergraduate degrees, a Conjoint Degree in New Zealand offers you the opportunity to pursue two fields of study at the same time, at the same pace. Let’s better understand a Conjoint Degree in New Zealand.
About Conjoint Degree in New Zealand
Some basics of a conjoint degree in New Zealand you must know:
- A student who has opted for a Conjoint degree in New Zealand will normally only take on one extra course per year. Compared to a full-time course, this takes a lesser time frame since some electives are not required. This means a conjoint degree in New Zealand needs fewer points, per degree than a full-time double undergraduate degree.
- An undergraduate degree has 8 courses per year. But as a conjoint is usually 9 courses per year, a BA/BSc conjoint would mean a total of 36 courses. This means that there are 17 courses on each side of the conjoint degree. Even after adding one elective and a General Education Course to the conjoint degree, this would mean that a double three-year bachelor’s degree, which consists of 24 courses each, is way more than a conjoint one.
- Since a conjoint degree means studying two courses at the same time, a major must be opted for, on each side of the two courses. A student can also choose to go for a double major on each side, but that depends on the combination of techniques in the conjoint degree.
Benefits of a Conjoint Degree in New Zealand
Moving forward, these are some of the main benefits of a conjoint degree in New Zealand:
- Employability: A conjoint degree is essentially the qualification of two degrees. This adds to the student’s resume and increases their chances of employment
- Correlated Disciplinary: With a conjoint degree, a student can choose two courses that complement each other, furthering the expansion of their chosen field of study. For example, two different courses in the same field of medicine easily complement each other
- Time-Effective: As mentioned before, a conjoint degree shouldn’t take students more than 5 years to complete, while a dual degree, when pursued separately, takes at least 6-8 years
Popular Conjoint Degrees in New Zealand
Not all combinations of courses can be conjoint degrees in New Zealand. These are some of the most popular conjoint degrees in New Zealand, with a common duration of 4-5 years:
- Bachelor of Social Sciences with a Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Teaching with a Bachelor of Social Sciences
- Bachelor of Teaching with a Bachelor of Health, Sport and Human Performance
- Bachelor of Business with a Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Arts with a Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Teaching with a Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Management Studies with a Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of History and Genetics
- Bachelor of Music and Zoology
- Bachelor of Communication Studies and Data Science
Although this depends on the respective university’s admission requirements, the student must meet the eligibility criteria of each side of the conjoint degree, that is, of both courses, separately. You can easily apply for a conjoint degree, as your preferred choice, while making the initial application to the university.
Check out the selected university’s website to be sure about their offered conjoint programs. The eligibility for an International Student in New Zealand is as follows:
- Qualifications (as mentioned by the university) from an esteemed credible secondary school or institution, equivalent to New Zealand.
- At least 70 to 75 per cent in Class XII, or as mentioned in the university guidelines.
- English Proficiency Scores
- At least 6 in IELTS and 80 in TOEFL.
- New Zealand study visa.
The application process takes place over some time. It begins months before the commencement of classes. The universities have two main intakes, generally, the fall intake and spring intake, for international students to kick start their journey. You can call our Genesis experts on 0172-4666-001 to find out how the application process can be fast-tracked and streamlined! Here’s an easy 5-step process to complete your application process:
- Call our experts on 0172-4666-001 to shortlist your favorite universities and courses. Start your application to multiple universities through our one dashboard platform.
- Compile all your documents like SOPs, essays, certificates and LORs and exam scores like IELTS, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, etc.
- Meet all the application deadlines and start the application process for accommodation, students visa, and scholarships/student loans.
- Accept the offer letter and meet your teachers, college mates and roommates virtually.
- Get your visa approved and fly to your dream university.