Are you thinking about studying in Canada and want to know more about study permit? Read on to find out more about Study Permit.
A study permit is a document issued by the Canadian Government that allows foreigners to study in Canada at designated learning institutions.
It is important to note that your study permit is not a visa, so the permit by itself does not allow you to enter Canada. You also need a TRA (Temporary Resident Visa) or an eTA (electronic travel authorization) to enter Canada. If your study permit is approved by a Canadian consulate outside Canada, a visa will be issued with it.
If your study program in Canada is less than 6 months long, you DO NOT need a study permit but if you plan to study in Canada for more than 6 months, or extend your stay after the initial program of studies, we do recommend you to apply for a study permit.
Study permit eligibility
You must meet some basic requirements to get a Study Visa. The most relevant requirements are listed below:
- Have a valid (LOA) from a chosen institution.
- have a passport that is valid for the duration of your intended program of studies.
- have no criminal or immigration-related convictions.
- convince an immigration officer that you have ties to your home country.
- convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your studies.
- have enough money for your studies and to support your stay in Canada.The amount of money you will need depends on the
- duration of your studies and the size of your family.
- If you cannot prove that you are eligible for the Canadian Study Permit, then they will reject your application.
- You can also be refused a visa for security or health related reasons.